And I'm not talking about the freaky stuff.
Look at his career up until the time he married Lisa Marie Presley:
- Amazing success as a child member of The Jackson Five.
- In 1979 he released Off the Wall, a worldwide success story that made music history, becoming the first album ever to spawn four top-ten hits, including the number-one hits, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" and "Rock with You."
- In late 1982 Thriller debuts, becoming by far the biggest selling album of all time with worldwide sales reaching over 104 million copies. The album also became the first in history to spawn seven top-ten Billboard Hot 100 hit singles.
- Bad is released in 1987. While not nearly the achievement that Thriller was, it was still a huge commercial success. In the U.S. it spawned seven hit singles, five of which went to #1: "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," "Bad," "The Way You Make Me Feel," "Man in the Mirror," and "Dirty Diana."
- In 1991 Jackson released Dangerous, which, at roughly 30 million copies sold, was a commercial success.
Getting married a second time in 1996 did not improve things.